Not going to be doing pictures today, so hopefully I'll be a ble to get a bit more down about what I've done.
12/07/09
Spent yesterday seeing some of the museums of Habana Vieja, and Centro Habana. Started of at the Cathedral, but there was a service going on, so I sat quietly on the floor at the back, getting some much needed shade and watching a Roman Catholic service.
Following the cathedral I went for a look around the Natural History museum, it was...basic... and pretty empty really. It did help me pick up a few animal names though, although when I'll need to talk about a oso polar (Polar Bear) or bobo (Wolf) I'm not entirely sure!
After that I walked around by the habour and went to the real Habana Club, and had a real Mojito! It was good! I managed to get there at the same time as a bus load of other tourists though, so I snuck in the side door and ordered straight at the bar to jump the lines and save the costs of being shown around the bar. Whilst supping a Mojito and watch bar staff buzz around like flys trying to fulfill all the orders of the tourists, a band struck up in the corner of the bar, and a woman, so far quietly sat on the table to my right, suddenly opened up and let rip with a voice that could level a building. She was so loud it was incredible!
Took a wonder further round the harbour to see the remains of the old city wall and the Casa Natal Jose Marti. The wall was nothing but a block of concrete at the edge of the road (although a big block in all fairness) and the Casa was shut! But, just a bit further along the road was the train station, and that is a phenominal building. I can't really describe it, I'll have to post a photo another day.
Went inside the Capitilo Nacional next and was pretty underwhelmed. Apart from the statue in the foyer (the 3rd largest indoor statue in the world) the rest of the building came across like any other grand state building in other countries. Yes it was well decorated, but it consisted of identical room after identical room, nothing outstanding or particularly interesting.
What I really learned from yesterday is that I much prefer being outside buildings and walking amoungst them, rather than in buildings and walking through them - I must have paid CUC15 on entrance fees, and none of them were particularly worth it from my point of view.
On the walk home after dinner I found Habana's China-town?! Yes, it has one! A small alleyway crammed with Chinese restuarants and outside dining, very surreal.
13/07/09
So far today I've spent my entire time at Hotel Inglaterra, chilling out, having breakfast, reading and waiting for the internet. Just book accomodation for Santa Clara tomorrow, and then going to find out about getting there. Bus seems to be the best bet, but I'll ask the travel people behind me for a hand.
Take it easy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Definitely going to check out the monuments in Abingdon in readiness for your return! Suspect there could be a serious lack of space issue though! Imagine your Spanish must be improving on a daily basis - we are now listening to the Italian CD in the car but matters were definitely not helped by the fact that Dad had the Ipod on shuffle! We really needed the words before the sentences!
ReplyDeleteHave a good journey to Santa Clara.
Love Mum x