Got to Lima ok, after having 8 hours chatting to a Peruvian/Canadian guy called Dany - He helped me with some
The flight to Habana was uneventful, but landed safe and sound so no complaints. Once the baggage belt decided to cough up my bag (it had a mind of its own with regards to when to work?!) I headed out to get some cash and a taxi. First up the taxi driver told me CUC90 for the ride!!! A quick shake of the head and a 'viente' (20) later, and we settled on CUC25. The ride to the Casa was incredible. Out by the airport everything is 50/60's built and definatly aimed at function over form, but the closer to the centre I got the buildings morphed into Colonial Style - absolutley beautiful, if not run down!
(I'm trying to upload some photos but it doesn't seem to be working.)
Got to the flat, one of 19 in a run down complex and was greeted by 2 smiling women, my Land-lady, Maria, and her friend that spoke a little English. They signed me in, and gave me a few hints and tips about where to go and where to avoid - particularly at night. The room is a good size, but hot, constantly. The saving grace is the portable fa
10/07/09
Got up at 06:00, showered and went straight out. Spent 12hours walking around Centro Habana and Habana Vieja, just exploring and taking the place in. It's phenominal. I don't think I'll really be able to do it justice here. The buildings are fantastic, the people are friendly, even if you decline their offer of a cigar/map/taxi/paper etc. Met a guy living in a national monument - it would be equivilent to living in Nelsons Column or the monument at Deutsches Eck - very friendly chatted to me for a bit and let me take a photo, as well as look around inside the monument/home.
This is the monument he lived in!
Time's running out now so I better fly through the next bits. Kept exploring for the rest of Friday, and crashed out early again (21:00)
11/07/09
Up at 06:30, as was Maria today, and she fixed me a breakfast of coffee, eggs, bread and fruit - it was good!
Walked over to Plaza de la Revolucion, was the first person there, which meant I had the 130m high veiw over Habana to myself! I don't have time to upload photos unfortunately but it was amazing. There are vultures nesting at the top, they glide off to ride the thermals around the Jose Marti Monument and over the square. After that I headed to the Nercopolis, a huge cemetery with some important and striking tombs in. Then a walk down Av de los Presidentes, along the Malecon, and through Vedado. Vedado is the more commercial part of Habana, and not so nice. Crowded, smelly, and really could have been anyother city's commercial district.
The clocks reading 5mins left, so I'm going to stop here, the connection is slow and I don't want all this to be lost. Tomorrow is going to be a museum day I think, plenty around Habana Vieja.
Till another day, hasta luego!
No comments:
Post a Comment