Thursday, 16 July 2009

Santa Clara

I should start at the beginning of my time here, but I wont, instead Ill start at this morning. Got up, breakfast as usual, then on my way to here to use the internet I got chatting to a young Cuban guy. He asked if I knew how to play dominos, and was shocked when I said no! A quick shake of the head and he led my to a cafe, spread his dominos out on the table, and taught me to play. I was there for 2 hours with him! Just chilling out, having a beer or 2 (yes it was only 10:00 but never mind). We were joined by his friend, a guide from the cigar factory. He played a few hands with us, then showed me what to look for whem buying real Cuban cigars, not fakes from the street.

Anyway, thats just a small display of how different the people are here in Santa Clara to Habana. Much friendlier, and not out for your money. (I first told the cigar guy I couldnt really buy any just yet as Id have to carry them with me around Cuba, he just said no worries, and showed me what to look out for anyway. I did end up buying a box from him, as Id rather my money went to him than some hustler in Habana.)

14/07/09
Anyway, back to the beginning of my trip to Santa Clara, I eventually figured out the bus station in Habana and got a ticket down to Santa Clara, I wasnt allowed on the Astro busses for locals, I had to go with Viazul for tourists and rich Cubans. The TV on the coach was playing some cheesy as hell music by a guy called Ramazzotti (I think he has a website, check it out!) The coach smelt a bit odd too, almost clinical, I dont know if it was the aircon but imagine a dentists surgical glove, only stronger.

It all when a bit wrong when I got here. Maria Rosa (my land lady in Habana) told me she knew someone in Santa Clara who could meet me an help me out. "Great" I thought. What I didnt know was that they expected me to stay with them, and I had already made a reservation somewhere else. After explaining this we walked over to this other place where the lady told me she was full...hang on a sec, I made a reservation... yeah, for the wrong day!! I didnt check the dates properly and booked it to start a day before I arrived in Santa Clara! Idiot! Anyway, it was ok in the end, I went back to Finas and have been staying there, its a nice place, close to town, and I have my own bathroom too!

After settling in abit I went for a walk around Santa Clara, and the place is beautiful. More peaceful than Habana, and smaller too. The people are friendlier, I met more people in the last 2 days here than my 5 days in Habana. An English Professor named Elvis (yep, after the famous one), 2 music lovers that stopped for because of my tshirts (Peters and someother guy), a cyclotaxi driver who was chatting to me about good things to see in Santa Clara, and then the 2 guys earlier. None of them wanted anything, all just wanted to chat, a refreshing change to Habana.

Headed up to a rooftop bar of one of the hotels in the middle of town, its the tallest building here and you can see right over the entire city. Had dinner at an awesome restuarant that has the Rolling Stones tongue as its symbol. The food was fantastic. Had a drink at a bar on the way home and got chatting to 2 Australian women that made me feel very thankful for being a guy. They get harrassed everywhere they go in Cuba. Men and boys alike stop and stare at most women that walk past, calling out to them too. It reminisant of the famous Italian sleeze.

15/07/09

Had my first experience of the interesting showers, a normal shower with a strange electric head wired in, badly, to heat the water. I didnt use it. Apart from not looking too safe, a cold shower after such hot days and nights is very welcome. Fina, the landlady here is great, huge breakasts of fruit, tortilla, coffee, bread and juice. She dums down here Spanish for me too so I can understand her.

Started off by going to the boxcar museum, the place where 22 rebels with 1 bulldozer and a handful of weapons, derailed a train and bested 300 troups, pretty amazing. The sculptures around the museum were fantastic too. It was Santa Claras 320th aniversary on the 15th, and the length of one of the main streets was given over to the festival. Foodstalls lined the paths and every 100m or so there were water tankers full of beer! You just gave them a container, and they filled it for a few pesos (normally a 330ml bottle costs 24pesos, you could get 500ml for 6pesos down here!!) The noise and the smells were amazing, I walked the entire length of the street just taking it all in.

Then it was on to the Provincial Museum, this was a wierd little place. Just out of town on a hill, its inside an old barracks. When I got there the woman explained that some construction work was being carried out, but I was still welcome to have a look around. No problem I thought, I should still be able to see most of it. The contents of the museum were good, (a history of the Santa Clara region, including the rebel battles fought here), but the place itself was very strange. I was the only person here, and 3 ladies walked around with me talking to eachother, turning the lights on and off as I reached and left each section...a very strange experience.

I better stop here, my hour is almost up. No photos again today, this time because the computer doesnt have a USB connection! I have another card, but I have to log off, and then log on again, so Ill carry on in a min.

Till then,

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that you couldn't remember how to play dominoes! Where are your childhood memories? I would have to admit though that much of your experience probably relates to playing with cards with pictures of tortoises, flowers, penguins and funny little blue birds etc - does that ring a distant bell? If not, I am sure I can dig the cards out for your return!!
    Love Mum x

    ReplyDelete