Saturday, 19 September 2009

Big catch up after the last one failed!

09/09/09

I ws warned that Puno was a whole, and it was! The floating island were just floating tourist traps. Got to the first one and they tried to sell you tat, got to the second one and they tried to sell tat and food. Then you went back to Puno... thats all...

10/09/09

Luckly, Arequipa, the next stop, was stunning. Beautiful buildings made of white volcanic rock, great weather and surrounded by high mountains. Once I got there I had a quick walk around, then thought Id go for a quick siesta, just 2 hours or so till 19:00 - I slept straight through till 06:00 the next morning!

11/09/09

Started with a visit to the Museum that holds the Ice Mummy (its not technically a Mummy as it never underwent any kind of mumification). The body is of a young girl sacrificed to the Gods on one of the highest mountains surrounding Arequipa. She was buried over time under layers and layers of snow and ice, perfectly preserving her, complete with skin, teeth, and hair. The fact that the display was allready a little freaky was built on by it being so cold in the room to help maintain the figure!

After that I spent 3-and-a-bit hours walking around an old convent, most of which has been opened to the public. It covers an area of 2 blocks, so its pretty big, and all the buildings have been lovingly cared for and painted in white, red or blue. I could have spent more time there, but I was getting really hungry and the restaurant in there was massively over priced.

I spent the rest of the day just wandering around the town and relaxing, enjoying being somewhere nice (not Puno!)

Ive got to go as someone is waiting for the internet and Ive been on for quite a while, Ill update somemore another day,

No comments:

Post a Comment