A train breaking out of the train-graveyard in Habana - the day before this fence was standing, some how the train rolled forward off it rails and crushed it!
One of the forts in Habana Veija
The Che monument in Santa Clara
Hey,
Here's a few pics, aslong as they upload in time.
I last updated in Santiago, so I've got a bit to try and catch up on.
22/07/09
Arrived in Santiago at 06:30, went to the casa, dropped off my bag, and then went straight to the beach. I got there by about 08:00 and was the only person there - with the exception of the locals setting up their stalls. The beach was incredible. White sands and clear blus ocean, at one point another day I stood 5ft deep and could still see my feet clearly. On that day as I stood in the water, facing out to the ocean, the sky was clear, the sea was calm and it felt like I was standing at the end of the world, it was incredible. I went exploring along the beach a little later on and found some really beautiful secluded spots tucked amoungst the trees. The only thing there were loads of sandcrabs and hermit crabs, otherwise, it was deserted! That was pretty much it for the day, and it was great!
White sands, blue sky, and clear water. A beach to myself! For a while anyway.
23/07/09
Spent the day walking around Trinidad, it's a Unesco World Heritage site, and made up of picturesque cobbled streets and beautiful buildings. Dropped into some of the museums about those people from Trinidad who fought against the counter-revolutionaries in the '60s and climbed one of the city's bell towers for a great veiw. Then it rained. And oh how it rained. In about 30mins the streets were turned to torrential rivers, and everybody, tourists and cubans alike were tucked into doorways and shops trying to avoid it.
Once the rain relented I could carry on my walk around nd found the shell of an old church that was pretty interesting, I went inside, but it stank and the floor was littered with animal bones...I beat a quick retreat! Later on in the afternoon I hiked up a path in one of the foothills of the mountain range, and got the most amazing views of Trinidad. Along with the views, were the birds. Vultures were riding the currents of the hillsides and valleys and were totally unplussed as they glided with 8ft of my head. Incredible birds, and I can't believe I got that close to them. There were also hundreds of butterflys about, more so than any butterfly house I've ever been in. Less jumpy too, allowing me a chance to get some great photos.
24/07/09
Spent the first half of the day taking it easy, my guts were playing up so I wasn't really in a position to go exploring too far. By lunch time everything had calmed down a bit though, so I jumped in a taxi and went back to the beach for a few hours. A very relaxed day, and a nice change from Santiago.
25/07/09
Up early for the coach to Habana, got here with no problems, and recieved a warm welcome from Maria Rosa. I'm staying in the other room this time as shes rented out both and is sleeping on the coach! I took a walk into Habana and just wandered roud for a bit. Went to a photo exhibition and had a look around Plaza Vieja, surrounding the fountain in the middle is a series of photos by a Polish photographer who has taken images from the same position as a group of WW2 photos and then joined the two to create a series of amazing images. It's nice to be back in Habana, it's a great city, and I know my way around now, so I feel really comfortable just walking about and relaxing.
When I got back to the flat I met Jake, a British guy whos staying next door and has just spent the last 8months in South America improving his Spanish. Went out for a beer after dinner and swapped stories and hints (mine for Cuba, his for South America) He's the second person to say that Chile is very European and not necessarily worth a visit, so I might give it a miss and spend more time in Bolivia and Peru.
26/07/09
Today! Got up early and went to the Plaza del Revolucion with Jake, its the 26th July celebrations today and we were hoping for some speeches from the Jose Marti Memorial, but they are in a different city each year, and this year isn't Habana. Oh well. Spent the next few hours walking about and exploring some more of Habana Vedado. Walk back up the Avenue of the Presidents and then parted ways in town. I came here to update this...
And that brings me up-to-date. And I managed to upload 4 photos, not loads, but it's all I can manage because of the slow connection. Apparently most of South America has broadband, so once I hit Argentina I should be able to post alot more.
Take it easy,
P.S - Alexander, the rasta who spoke to me in Santiago did say to me: "I don't see a white guy, or a tourist. When I look at you I see a black rasta." - It's very confusing.
Enjoying your blog, it seems as if you're having a very good time on your travels, hope your tummy has cleared up! Love Nan and Grandad x
ReplyDeleteI just googled Rastafarianism (yes, you have me googling these things now!) I MAY have solved the puzzle of the Rastafarian Oxfordian.
ReplyDelete...(You'll laugh when you read this!) One of the symbols of the religion is the LION and they deliberately don't cut their hair in order to look like one.
...However, they don't eat pork (so that counts you out) and are AFRICAN (so that definitely counts you out). So I'm at a general loss with that one.
Although maybe they think you advocate the smoking of the ganj because of your flames? Spiritual fire and all that.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/27/us-mission-ticker-cuba
ReplyDeleteHahaha! You missed this!
Hi,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're having an amazing time. I like the sound of the beach and clear sea. You seem to be visiting some really interesting places. Hope the Spanish is going well, we've got to try ours out soon so should be fun!! Luv, Hilary and family
Andy Brogan - Black Rasta... Well, I guess that's got the gravestone inscription sorted then! Sounds like you are having a great time mate and am very envious.
ReplyDeleteTake care and miss you lots
C